The work Speak represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
The work Speak represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.
This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
- Statement of responsibility
- Laurie Halse Anderson
- trueTeenage rape victims
- trueTeenage girls
- trueTeenage boy/girl relations
- trueTeacher-student relationships
- trueAcquaintance rape
- trueEmotional problems
- Emotional problems -- Fiction
- trueEmotional problems of teenage girls
- Emotional problems of teenagers
- Emotional problems of teenagers -- Fiction
- Epistolary fiction
- trueHigh school students
- trueHigh schools
- High schools
- High schools -- Fiction
- trueMisfits (Persons)
- Rape -- Fiction
- trueRape of teenage girls
- Schools -- Fiction
- Young adult works
- Young adult fiction
- "Speak up for yourself - we want to know what you have to say." From the first moment of her freshman year at Merryweather High, Melinda knows that this is a big fat lie, part of the nonsense of high school. She is friendless, outcast, because she busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, so now nobody will talk to her, let alone listen to her. As time passes, she becomes increasingly isolated and practically stops talking altogether. Only her art class offers any solace, and is is through her work on an art project that she is finally able to face what really happened at that terrible party: she was raped by an upperclassman, a guy who still attends Merryweather and is still a threat to her. Her healing process has just begun when she has another violent encounter with him. But this time Melinda fights back, refuses to be silent, and thereby achieves a measure of vindication. In this powerful novel, an utterly believeable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself
- Booklist Editors’ Choice: Books for Youth, 1999
- Garden State Teen Book Award (New Jersey), Fiction (Grades 9-12), 2002.
- Carolyn W. Field Award (Pennsylvania), 2000.
- Golden Kite Award for Fiction, 1999.
- Heartland Award, 2001.
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award for Grades 9-12, 2001.
- School Library Journal Best Books, 1999.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Young Adult Books, 2002.
- South Carolina Book Award, Young Adult Books, 2002.
- YALSA Best Books for Young Adults, 2000
- YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, 2015.
- YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, 2000
- Awards note
- Michael L. Printz Honor Book, 2000
- National Book Award for Young People's Literature Finalist, 1999
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Intended audience
- Young Adult
- Interest level
- LC call number
- LC item number
- Sp 1999
- Literary form
- NLM call number
- Anderson, L.
- Reading level
- Study program name
- Accelerated Reader/Renaissance Learning
- Accelerated Reader
- Target audience
ContextContext of Speak
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Speak
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/WvmS6o3E5O0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/WvmS6o3E5O0/">Speak</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.ccrls.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.ccrls.org/">Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS)</a></span></span></span></span></div>