A Brief History of Seven Killings
The work A Brief History of Seven Killings represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
A Brief History of Seven Killings
The work A Brief History of Seven Killings represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.
This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
- A Brief History of Seven Killings
- Statement of responsibility
- Marlon James
- trueLiterary fiction
- trueMarley, Bob -- Assassination attempts
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueNew York City -- History -- 20th century
- trueAttempted murder
- true20th century -- 1901 -- 2000
- trueDrug traffic
- trueReggae musicians
- trueHistorical Fiction
- truePolitical corruption
- trueJamaica -- History -- 20th century
- trueMultiple perspectives
- Longlisted for the 2015 Man Booker PrizeA recipient of the 2015 American Book AwardOne of the Top 10 Books of 2014 – Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times A New York Times Book Review Notable Book Named a best book of the year by: The New York Times Chicago Tribune The Washington Post The Boston Globe Time Newsweek The Huffington Post The Seattle Times The Houston Chronicle Publishers Weekly Library Journal Popsugar BookPage BuzzFeed Books Salon Kansas City Star L Magazine From the acclaimed author of The Book of Night Women comes a "musical, electric, fantastically profane" (The New York Times) epic that explores the tumultuous world of Jamaica over the past three decades. In A Brief History of Seven Killings, Marlon James combines brilliant storytelling with his unrivaled skills of characterization and meticulous eye for detail to forge an enthralling novel of dazzling ambition and scope. On December 3, 1976, just before the Jamaican general election and two days before Bob Marley was to play the Smile Jamaica Concert to ease political tensions in Kingston, seven gunmen stormed the singer's house, machine guns blazing. The attack wounded Marley, his wife, and his manager, and injured several others. Little was officially released about the gunmen, but much has been whispered, gossiped and sung about in the streets of West Kingston. Rumors abound regarding the assassins' fates, and there are suspicions that the attack was politically motivated. A Brief History of Seven Killings delves deep into that dangerous and unstable time in Jamaica's history and beyond. James deftly chronicles the lives of a host of unforgettable characters – gunmen, drug dealers, one-night stands, CIA agents, even ghosts – over the course of thirty years as they roam the streets of 1970s Kingston, dominate the crack houses of 1980s New York, and ultimately reemerge into the radically altered Jamaica of the 1990s. Along the way, they learn that evil does indeed cast long shadows, that justice and retribution are inextricably linked, and that no one can truly escape his fate. Gripping and inventive, shocking and irresistible, A Brief History of Seven Killings is a mesmerizing modern classic of power, mystery, and insight.From the Hardcover edition
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 2014.
- Library Journal Best Books 2014
- Man Booker Prize, 2015.
- Minnesota Book Award for Novel & Short Story, 2015.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2014
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of A Brief History of Seven Killings
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work A Brief History of Seven Killings
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/3dZkb7KeB7o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/3dZkb7KeB7o/">A Brief History of Seven Killings</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.ccrls.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.ccrls.org/">Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS)</a></span></span></span></span></div>