The work Wanting represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
The work Wanting represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.
This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
- Statement of responsibility
- Richard Flanagan
- true1840s -- 1840 -- 1849
- Aboriginal Australians
- Aboriginal Australians -- Fiction
- Aboriginal Tasmanians
- Aboriginal Tasmanians -- Fiction
- trueAdopted girls
- trueAustralian fiction
- trueBiographical fiction
- Children, Aboriginal Australian
- Children, Aboriginal Australian -- Australia | Tasmania -- Fiction
- trueColonial Australia (1788-1901) -- 1788 -- 1901
- trueColonialism -- Australia
- Criticism and interpretation
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Fictional works
- Franklin, Jane, 1791-1875
- Franklin, Jane, 1791-1875 -- Fiction
- Franklin, John, 1786-1847
- Franklin, John, 1786-1847 -- Fiction
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueHonor in men
- Indigenous women
- Indigenous women -- Australia | Tasmania -- Fiction
- trueMissing men
- truePenal colonies -- Australia
- Tasmania -- Fiction
- "'Wanting, ' hailed as Flanagan's finest book yet, begins in 1839 when the famous Arctic explorer Sir John Franklin assumes governorship of the romote penal colony of Van Diemen's Land. His wife, Lady Jane, becomes captivated with a lively young Aboriginal girl called Mathinna, one of the few survivors of a brutal war of extermination waged against the island's original inhabitants. The Franklins adopt Mathinna, making her the subject of a grand social experiment -- to determine whether science, Christianity, and reason can be imposed in the place of savagery, impulse, and desire"--Inside cover
- Library Journal Best Books, 2009.
- Queensland Premier's Literary Awards, Fiction Book Award, 2009.
- Tasmanian Book Prize, 2011.
- Western Australian Premier's Book Awards, Fiction category, 2008.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- W36 2008b
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Wanting
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Wanting
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/2qi6sgJuUcc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/2qi6sgJuUcc/">Wanting</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.ccrls.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.ccrls.org/">Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS)</a></span></span></span></span></div>