The work Galileo's Daughter represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
The work Galileo's Daughter represents a distinct intellectual or artistic creation found in Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS). This resource is a combination of several types including: Work, Language Material, Books.
This resource has been enriched with EBSCO NoveList data.
- Galileo's Daughter
- Statement of responsibility
- Dava Sobel
- Title variation
- Galileos daughter
- Title variation remainder
- a historical memoir of science, faith, and love
- true17th century -- 1601 -- 1700
- trueAstronomers -- Italy -- Biography
- Biography & Autobiography
- trueFather and adult daughter
- trueFlorence, Italy -- History -- 17th century
- trueGalilei, Galileo, 1564-1642 -- Correspondence
- trueGalilei, Maria Celeste, 1600-1634 -- Correspondence
- trueHistory writing -- Europe -- Renaissance
- trueInquisition -- Italy
- trueLife stories -- Science, technology, and medicine | Scientists and inventors
- trueNuns -- Italy -- Biography
- truePoor Clares -- Biography
- trueRenaissance (1300-1600) -- 1300 -- 1600
- trueRome, Italy -- History -- 17th century
- trueTrials (Heresy) -- Italy
- Inspired by a long fascination with Galileo, and by the remarkable surviving letters of Galileo's daughter, a cloistered nun, Dava Sobel has written a biography unlike any other of the man Albert Einstein called "the father of modern physics- indeed of modern science altogether." Galileo's Daughter also presents a stunning portrait of a person hitherto lost to history, described by her father as "a woman of exquisite mind, singular goodness, and most tenderly attached to me." Galileo's Daughter dramatically recolors the personality and accomplishment of a mythic figure whose seventeenth-century clash with Catholic doctrine continues to define the schism between science and religion. Moving between Galileo's grand public life and Maria Celeste's sequestered world, Sobel illuminates the Florence of the Medicis and the papal court in Rome during the pivotal era when humanity's perception of its place in the cosmos was about to be overturned. In that same time, while the bubonic plague wreaked its terrible devastation and the Thirty Years' War tipped fortunes across Europe, one man sought to reconcile the Heaven he revered as a good Catholic with the heavens he revealed through his telescope. With all the human drama and scientific adventure that distinguished Dava Sobel's previous book Longitude, Galileo's Daughter is an unforgettable story
- Booklist Editors' Choice, 1999.
- Library Journal Best Books, 1999.
- Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Science and Technology, 1999.
- New York Times Notable Book, 1999
- Biography type
- individual biography
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Galileo's Daughter
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Galileo's Daughter
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/-zllWTJL5F8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.ccrls.org/resource/-zllWTJL5F8/">Galileo's Daughter</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.ccrls.org/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.ccrls.org/">Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS)</a></span></span></span></span></div>